Pages

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Psycho Pass: Initial Impressions

I like to check out the currently airing anime from time to time despite having not watched many of the older titles and I've seen a lot of people talking about how they really enjoy Psycho-Pass so I decided to check it out. I'm only 4 episodes in at present so don't expect spoilers.


So far, I can tell you that Psycho-Pass is a cyberpunk anime set in the near future with the same kind of feel as Ghost in the Shell and perhaps a smidgen of Bebop (Kougami reminds me a lot of Spike). The main idea behind the world is that it is possible with the use of technology to instantly measure a person's personality and mental wellbeing, this shows their 'psycho pass' in hues, the cloudier their psycho pass is, the more likely they are to be labelled a latent criminal and the CID have the job of regulating people with high psycho passes to keep crime at an absolute minimum. Akane is a newcomer to the CID and has to battle with her conscience. On the one hand these people may not have committed a crime yet but on the other they are likely to and it is her job to bring them in for emergency therapy or worse if they are beyond help, meanwhile having to work alongside latent criminals whose job is to sniff out others like them and decide whether these enforcers are trustworthy, or should be treated like dogs as her superior tells her they are.

There's a lot of action, a fantastic OST and I adore the character interaction. Psycho-Pass definitely seems promising.

Opening Theme:



Ending Theme:



Hell it's rare that I like both opening and ending themes to an anime but as I said, Psycho-Pass has a fantastic OST. I'm definitely recommending this one, and that goes for those of you who think anime has become a bit crap in recent years as well.

2 comments:

  1. I just finished this anime and can tell you right now: look forward to the ending scene! It is amazing, the tension is almost tangible and the build-up to the climax is wonderful. Personally, I think it's one of the best animes I've seen in a long time! And the soundtrack is wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get on it! I'm still only halfway through and I got my fiancé hooked as well.

      Delete

El Psy Congroo